Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's for Dinner?

You might think that, being home all day, I have time to cook amazing, 7-course meals & have my house spotless with every surface gleaming. Welp...if you think that, you are a bit off, my friend. ;) Actually, with my hectic schedule, I still scramble to get dinner ready and dream daily for a housekeeper! Please honey bunny...if you're reading this, mother's day is coming up soon!! (fingers crossed)

So, I decided to post another very quick and easy recipe for those nights when you are in a hurry and need something healthy...fast! I'm sure any of you moms out there can appreciate this one!

Quick Stir-Fry:

-Any veggies you have on hand
(tonight I used zucchini, seeded tomatoes, and carrots because that's what I had on hand. I also frequently use broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and other various things...whatever I happen to have in the house.)

I fry them a bit in extra virgin olive oil at medium heat. I put in the hardest veggies first (the ones that take the longest to cook (carrots, broccoli & things like that) then the softer ones last (squash, sugar snap peas etc.).

I make a bit of rice in my Asian rice-cooker (they cost about $100 but are worth the extra money--it cooks up the rice so nicely). I use Calrose rice (you use 1 1/2 cups of rice for every 2 cups of water).

The thing that I love about stir-fry is that you can make it a bit more hearty in a snap! I will sometimes add canned beans such as cannellini beans or garbanzo beans (I rinse them well first to get rid of some of the salt) and some canned chicken. You have a decent, pretty healthy dinner in a jiffy. Serve with some applesauce (I get the natural one with no added sugar and sprinkle cinnamon on top), some rolls & butter and you're good to go!

I don't know if it looks good to you, but it sure tasted great! This was taken on my cell phone
camera...not great quality pics. :)






















I also happened to make Strawberry Shortcake tonight for our Japanese exchange students, but I forgot to take pics! I was a bit too excited to taste it! It's really very simple. I make the Bisquick Shortcake recipe, but like my Grandma, I just make a double batch and press it into a 9x13 pan and cut it into squares to serve it. It doesn't look quite as pretty, I suppose, but I think it serves more people. While that is baking, you cut your strawberries, add a nice amount of sugar til the juices start to come out, then mash them up a bit to make them saucier. Serve your shortcake, top with berries, then I just pour heavy whipping cream (NOT whipped) over the top while it's still warm. I know most people use whipped cream, but I guess I followed in my Grandma's footsteps. If you must have whipped cream on it at my house, you get the whipping cream first, then the whipped! ;)

That's it! Dinner. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment